It's officially December and now socially acceptable to think, talk and do all things Christmasy. For years it would take me right up until a few days before Christmas Day to actually get excited, guess working in hospitality does that to you… but this year it's different as I have been feeling the Christmas spirit since early November and tried my best to keep it all under wraps. Now I can finally let it all out and start off by showing you one of the first makeup looks I created suited for the festive season; none other than one of the most popular look most women like to create this time of year, a shimmery eye paired with a red lip of course. So here's my take on it…
First off it's all about that base (have you got the song stuck in your head yet). Of course I am talking about creating a flawless base which will last all night. Tips to do that is to use a primer which I clearly forgot to do here, but that's always a good option and also to use one of your best foundations, the ones that you know has amazing longevity.
- I used my MAC Pro-Long Wear for that because it really is a great long lasting foundation on my skin, as I applied it with my brand new RT Miracle Complexion Sponge (I just love using it when it's brand spanking new and I have mentioned before that it's one of the best ways to achieve a flawless complexion, even if it does take that little bit longer to apply).
- Next is using a concealer to brighten the eye area and also to cover any blemishes that you may have. My current concealer of choice is the Rimmel Wake Me Up which I have pretty much been using non-stop due to its light formula that doesn't crease under the eye.
- You've then got to set it all in place to make sure it has an even longer staying power. I used Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder since it is really natural and doesn't look cakey.
- Lastly contour and highlight your face to add definition back, this is a must or else your face looks one dimensional. I used my all time favourites Benefit Hoola along with MAC Soft & Gentle for this. You can also go one step further and use blush if you want to add a flush of colour to the face and for this I used Benefit Rockateur, because it is the perfect winter blush for me.
Now onto the eyes which I actually managed to keep pretty simple and very easy to achieve, since I only used a shimmery base along with three different eyeshadows.
- Instead of using a primer I decided to test out the lasting power of the new Maxfactor Excess Shimmer in Copper, which I can now confirm that it most definitely passed the test since my eye makeup lasted all day.
- Firstly I used my Zoeva Smokey Shader 234 brush to pat on MAC Amber Lights in to the middle of my lid, don't worry about this being messy as you can focus on blending in the next few steps.
- I then used my Zoeva Petite Crease 231 brush to blend MAC Woodwinked into the crease and then lightly under the lower lash line.
- Last step is using the Zoeva Smokey Shader 234 brush again to apply MAC Retrospeck on the inner corner and blend that inwards. If you have a small clean fluffy brush it's always a good idea to blend everything lightly especially around the edges, to make sure there's no harsh lines.
- You can leave the eye look as it is, but I want it to take it a step further and apply a sharp defined eyeliner, which I did so with my favourite L'Oreal Super Liner and happy days I had no mistakes to correct meaning the cotton buds were left untouched this time around.
- I then used the Blinc Black Lash Primer which I raved about here as it just adds such a great volume to my lashes meaning I don't need to worry about applying false lashes, but of course they would look lowly with a look such as this one.
- I used light layer of Rimmel Wonder'full Mascara in Extreme Black and the quickly filled in my eyebrows with my holy grail Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow.
- Last step of the look was the red lip, which you might already know I am not exactly a fan of but this new product Rimmel Provocalips in Play With Fire is a dark red shade that I don't mind as much. Once the look was finished I did feel like the eyes would have look better paired with a bright red lip instead, but once I had the Provocalips on I didn't even try to scrub at my lips as it doesn't budge off for a few hours.