At the beginning of the month I was contacted by Robert on behalf of SACO to take part in their challenge of creating two different looks using minimal products. The company are hoping that with this competition they can provide their guests and blog readers with amazing ideas on how they can maintain their beauty regime while travelling with limited items. I was immediately attracted because not only was it the opportunity for me to share my makeup skills with their readers but it was also a challenge for me personally as a beauty blogger and a makeup hoarder to see just how I can create two makeup looks using only 5 products. I'm not going to lie choosing 5 products out of my huge collection was definitely a lot tougher than I anticipated, but in the end I feel like I definitely chose the best ones for this challenge.
The rules emailed to me are clear and simple and I thought I would share them here for you all:
To take part in the challenge you must….
- Create 2 looks; 1 day natural look and 1 night party look
- Only use 5 make-up products to create both looks.
- Showcase both your looks on your blog with visual content or guides.
- Within the post tell us how the looks were created with a step by step guide for users to follow.
- Deadline to have the post live is Friday 24 October
For all entrants we will share the finished looks on the social channels too. All entrants are eligible to win our prize of £150 gift voucher for a store of your choice. and the best ones will be showcased on our However, the money needs to be spent on beauty and make up products to go towards your blog.
So lets get started…
As my 5 products I chose:
- Sleek Bare Skin Foundation (simply because I was dying to try it out having only received it recently).
- Rimmel Kate Moss Matte Lipstick in 107 (because I thought it would be a great lipstick to suit both day/night looks, you will see why in my step by step guides).
- Rimmel London Wonder'full Mascara (this is my go to mascara at the moment and I love that you can build it up for a fuller effect which is perfect for the challenge).
- Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette (this is the perfect travel palette not only because it is perfectly sized but also because it's got multi uses).
- Urban Decay Naked Flushed Palette (again another great travel palette with bronzer, blusher and highlighter all in one).
- I also thought I would show you the clear pouch with my brushes and essentials such a cotton buds and lip balm (this wasn't mentioned in the challenge but I wanted to show how these items can also be kept to a bare minimum).
Day - Natural Look
For this look I wanted to keep things very minimal with a quick routine, because we all know that whilst on a short break we just don't have a ton of time to spend perfecting our makeup with places to see or things to do on that travel list. I also wanted to create a look that I could just build on later on in the evening for a night party look, as the last thing we want to do on after a busy day out is to come back to the hotel and have to take your makeup off only to re-apply it again for the evening. To me that's just not practical and not something I would want to be doing after a long day of exploring.
Here's how I achieved the look:
- I applied the Sleek Bare Skin foundation using my Black Canvas F30 brush and blended out evenly.
- Since I didn't have concealer in my 5 products, I used an extra half a pump of foundation to all the areas that needed more help such as under the eyes and chin in my case.
- The foundation is quite dewy so I needed a powder to set it all in place and this is where the multi-tasking Urban Decay Naked Basics palette comes in, as I was able to use the shade Foxy lightly all over my face concentrating under the eyes and T-zone areas. (Foxy is a yellow toned powder, so if you are on the pale side with a pink undertone to your skin, I would imagine shade W.O.S to be more suited for your skin)
- I then used shade Faint mixed in with a bit of Crave (again from the UD Naked Basics Palette) to fill in my brows using my Zoeva 322 Brow Line brush.
- Onto the eyes: for a simple & natural look I applied W.O.S all over the lid using the Zoeva 234 Smoky Shader. I then used the Zoeva 227 Soft Liner brush to blend shade Naked 2 into the crease for a little bit of definition. The last part was adding shade Venus to the inner corner of the eye in order to brighten up the whole area.
- With a coat or two of my Rimmel London Wonder'full mascara the eye look was completely finished as you can see in the photo below.
- For the cheeks I used the gorgeous Urban Decay Naked Flushed palette with my Black Canvas F15 brush, by first adding bronzer under the cheekbones for definition and lightly bronzing the rest of the face around my temples. For a natural daytime look I skipped the blusher and went straight for the highlighter with a light hand for a healthy glow above my cheekbones and under the brow bone.
- To keep my lips hydrated throughout the day I used my Body Shop Aloe Vera Lip Care (this is a handbag essential & a skincare must for me, so it's not one of my 5 products) first before lightly dabbing the Rimmel Kate Moss Matte Lipstick in 107, to achieve lightly pink toned lips for a natural look. (this can be achieved with any she of lipstick as long as it's well pigmented)
- Voila here is my finished natural look for day time. I actually surprised myself by how well I managed this look just using 5 products. It goes to show that you really don't need to pack everything with you whilst travelling.
Night - Party Look
As I mentioned early in the post I wanted to be able to build on from my day time look by touching up where needed for example my shiny t-zone. Once I had finished touching up the face with some extra foundation and Foxy as my powder, I was really able to focus on the eyes:
- Firstly I used shade Crave with my Zoeva 317 Wing Liner brush to roughly line the top and bottom of the eyes, including the waterline if you aren't sensitive to doing that.
- I then used my Zoeva 231 Petit Crease brush for that intense smokey eye look. To help blend it all together I also used shade Venus again, which brought the whole look together.
- For extra oomph I layered on the mascara on top of what I already had on throughout the day, as well as giving the bottom lashes a coat.
- To finish off the whole look I applied extra bronzer & highlighter, as well as adding blush from the Urban Decay Naked Flushed palette.
- Lastly I applied the Rimmel Kate Moss Matte Lipstick in 107 to its full effect of colour, which is a stunning wine red shade, perfect for a night look.
- With that my party look is complete and something I was extremely happy with, especially considering I managed to build on from my daytime look and stuck to the same 5 products.
There you have my two looks for this challenge and the end of this post, I know it was a long one so thank you for sticking around till the end. Now all I have to do is wait for the winner to be picked at the end of the month. Fingers crossed for me!
There's two days left to enter if any of you want to do this challenge also you can create your post and enter here…